Complicated lease re-structures, rent reviews and renewal advice is a core area of our business.
It assists our clients together with our other disciplines to ensure efficient lease management and protection of rental income.
It doesn’t matter if you are a corporate landlord or a single property tenant, we commit the same energy and level of skill to deliver a successful outcome.
Tactical knowledge and strategy can be a key part of any negotiation. Using a holistic approach, utilising up to the minute market evidence from our agency team, our landlord and tenant advisors are well positioned to advise on a wide range of issues.
Lease advisory spans the following areas;
- Rent Reviews – With an ever changing rental landscape and market recovery following the collapse in 2008, we are starting to see rental growth once again. This means being prepared for the rent review and ensuring your lease terms help you benefit in the immediate and long term future.
- Lease Expiry and Renewal – This is a complicated area and a ‘once in a lease time’ opportunity to drive the performance of your asset or reduce your liabilities depending on which side you sit. Preparation and sufficient lead time is required to ensure up to the minute evidence is available and sufficient time planned for negotiations, agreement and potentially dilapidations.
- Restructures – Surrender, re-gear, assignment, covenant/terms appraisal are a few areas where our surveyors and landlord and tenant experts may be able to assist. These events can occur at any point in a lease and are generally by mutual agreement.
- Dispute Resolution – In the event negotiated agreement is not possible between the parties at rent review or renewal, we often act as Arbitrator or Independent Expert. On matters of valuation, we are regularly appointed by the Courts as an Expert Witness. This may be for matrimonial dispute, professional negligence or other matter requiring the input of a Chartered Surveyor.
- Service Charge analysis and review – A service charge is a fee charged to cover additional services related to a primary service, which in the context of property usually relates to repair and maintenance of shared or managed areas in addition to rent. Our property management pages deal with this in more detail.
- Dilapidations – A complex area of law and building analysis. Our valuers and building surveyors work together to ensure maximum recovery for landlords and to minimise claims for occupiers. Further detail is shown on our Building Surveying pages.